Bolos are very popular in Brazil and there are hundreds of different types to choose from. The first one that I ever tried was in the city of Salvador in Brazil's Bahia State. I was staying with a friend's aunt who, upon my arrival, was in the midst of preparing for a big party at her house. The woman that was doing most of the cooking for the big event let me try some of the bolo and I was hooked.
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1 tspn cinnamon
2 tbsp margarine
2 tspn yeast
- Mix margarine with sugar.
- Add eggs to the margarine and sugar. Beat until it forms a cream.
- Add flour, milk, cinnamon and yeast. Mix thoroughly and let sit for about 1/2 hour.
- Stir mixture and then add to a greased cake pan.
- Cover the top of cake with thinly sliced bananas.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes until batter does not stick to a toothpick inserted in the top. Be careful not to over bake.