Halushki is a hearty dish with a subtle, spicy flavor from the olive oil infused with crushed red pepper. It's a great choice if you want to feed alot of people at a low cost.
This Halushki recipe serves 4 to 6 people.
1 head of cabbage
8oz. of egg noodles (1/2 of 1 pound bag)
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 tbsp butter
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, diced
1 tspn brown sugar
1/2 package of turkey bacon, chopped
1 tbsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
- Cook turkey bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Set aside on a paper towel leaving a small amount of fat in the skillet.
- Add butter and olive oil to the skillet over medium heat.
- Add the red pepper flakes and the diced onion. Cook until onion changes color and becomes translucent.
- Add the garlic, brown sugar, salt and pepper (to taste) to the skillet. After about 3 minutes, remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- In a separate pot, add about 1/2 to 3/4 inch of water along with the cabbage. Put a lid on the pot and lightly steam the cabbage. Be careful to not overcook. Cabbage should be tender but crisp. Strain the cabbage and set aside.
- In a separate pot, boil the egg noodles for 5-6 minutes until al dente. Be careful not to over cook. Strain the noodles and set aside.
- In a large serving bowl, add the noodles, then stir in the onion and oil mixture so that the noodles are coated.
- Add the cabbage and stir into the noodle mixture.
- Add the crispy bacon and stir all of the contents of the bowl together so that they are well integrated. Serve hot.