The flavors of these two soups are quite different, however, as Issan Samaga Wattakka features shrimp instead of sausage. Issan Samaga Wattakka is also seasoned with spices popular in Indian cuisine such as cumin and coriander while Soupa de Jerimum relies on parsley and sage.
blender or food processor
large pot or Dutch Oven with a lid
1/2 (approximately 4 1/2 pound pumpkin)
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tspn kosher salt
3 + 2 tbsp butter, unsalted
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cups yellow onions, diced
1 leak (white portion until it turns a deep green), sliced into rounds
1 bay leaf
2 tspn brown sugar
1 tspn ground black pepper
2 tspn coriander, ground
2 tspn cumin seeds, ground
1 tspn chile powder
1 tspn cayenne powder
1 32 oz. box of chicken stock (about 5 1/2 cups)
2 tbsp vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
10 tiger shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Cut the pumpkin in half and remove the seeds and stringy interior. Reserve the seeds for garnish (see recipe for baked pumpkin seeds). Cut the tough outer layer of the pumpkin from the softer flesh of the interior. Cut the flesh into small 1/2 to 1 inch cubes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin cubes, 2 tbsp olive oil, and 1/2 tspn salt.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, add 3 tbsp butter and 3 tbsp flour. Stir the mixture continuously for about 5 to 7 minutes until the mixture becomes the color of peanut butter.
- Add the pumpkin cubes and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the onions, leek, brown sugar, black pepper, coriander, cumin, chile powder, and cayenne.
- Cook over medium heat until the onions become clear and translucent.
- Pour mixture into a blender or food processor and puree.
- Pour the pureed pumpkin mixture back into the large pot and add the chicken stock, bay leaf, and 2 tbsp of vinegar.
- In a skillet over medium heat, place 2 tbsp butter and the minced garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook until the shrimp turns color about 3 minutes.
- Remove the shrimp and pour the garlic and butter to the pot.
- Chop up 1/2 of the shrimp into small pieces and then add all of the shrimp to the pot.
- Serve hot garnished with baked pumpkin seeds.