6 fresh, shucked oysters
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup bread crumbs
6 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp milk
4 strips of bacon
2 tbsp unsalted butter
salt and pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the flour and bread crumbs. Set aside.
- Shuck 6 oyster; Place oysters and liquor in a bowl. Set aside
- In another mixing bowl, beat the 6 eggs. Whisk in the milk and the liquor from the oysters.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until it is crispy. Remove the bacon and set aside. Discard all but about 1 tbsp of bacon fat and add the butter to the skillet.
- Dip the oysters in the egg mixture and then roll them in the flour and breadcrumbs.
- Fry the oysters in the skillet over medium heat for about 30 seconds each side or until lightly brown.
- Move the oysters to one side of the skillet and pour the egg mixture on the other side.
- When the egg begins to thicken, crumble the bacon onto the egg and move the oysters onto the egg as well.
- Fold the egg over like an omelet allowing any uncooked egg to cook.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot with cilantro garnish.
United States [ print this recipe for Hangtown Fry ]