1 pound of dry yellow split peas
8 cups water
1/2 pound of salt pork, uncut
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1/2 tspn dried rosemary
1/2 tspn dried sage
1/2 tspn dried thyme
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
- Soak dried yellow split peas in a pot of water overnight. Strain water from the split peas. Add the split peas to the slow cooker.
- Add the 8 cups of water to the slow cooker along with the piece of salt pork.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook the onions in the olive oil until the onions become clear and translucent. Add the onions and the olive oil to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker.
- Cook for 4 hours on low heat.
- Remove salt pork from slow cooker. Cut away the fat. Chop up the lean pieces of pork and add it back to the soup. Serve hot.