The first time that we tried Ropa Vieja was at a Cuban Restaurant called Cuba Libre which is located in central London's Islington neighborhood. If you're ever visiting London or if you happen to have a long layover at Heathrow caused by a volcanic eruption in a
distant land, you should visit Cuba Libre. It's a pretty lively place on most nights, with a serious selection of unique drinks and great food.
1 tbsp canola oil
2 pounds of beef flank steak
1 cup beef broth
1 8oz. can of tomato sauce
1 6oz. can of tomato paste
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 green pepper, sliced into strips
4 cloves garlic
1 tspn ground cumin
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp white vinegar
- Heat canola oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown flank steak on each side, about 3 minutes each side.
- Transfer beef to a slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl, mix the beef broth, tomato sauce, onion, bell pepper, garlic, tomato paste, cumin, cilantro, olive oil, and vinegar.
- Add this mixture to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Shred the meat and serve with tortillas.
Cuba [ print this recipe for Ropa Vieja ]