2 tbsp unsalted butter
4 tbsp whole wheat flour
3/4 cup low-fat milk
4 large eggs, separated
3 ounces finely chopped prosciutto
2 serrano or jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 3 oz.)
1 tbsp grainy or Dijon mustard
1/2 tspn salt
1/4 tspn pepper
- Grease 12 mini-muffin cups with butter and sprinkle flour into each. Tap out any excess flour.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is lightly golden, about 2 minutes. (you're fundamentally making a roux.)
- Whisk in the milk, remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the egg yolks, prosciutto, jalapeño or serrano peppers, cheddar cheese, mustard, salt, and pepper. The mixture will be thick. Let cool to about room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl with a whisk or an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Stir one-quarter of the egg whites into the prosciutto mixture, then gently fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Divide the mixture among the prepared muffin cups and bake until puffed and set, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before unmolding. They will fall upon cooling.
Recipe courtesy of Muffin Tin Chef by Matt Kadey
Italy [ print this recipe for Prosciutto Cheese Puffs ]