brining bag or large air-tight glass container
2 1/2 to 3 pound rump roast
1 cup water
1 cup white vinegar
1 1/2 cup yellow onion, sliced
2 tbsp Kosher salt
2 tbsp sugar
2 bay leaves
10 whole cloves
14 gingersnaps, crushed
- Trim any excess fat from the roast. Cut the roast in half lengthwise. Place the pieces of roast in a brining bag or large glass container.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the water, vinegar, onion, salt, sugar, juice from the lemon, bay leaves, cloves, and peppercorns. Pour mixture into the container holding the roast.
- Seal the container and refrigerate for 24 hours, turning the pieces of roast occasionally.
- Remove the pieces of roast from the container and place them into a greased slow cooker. Pour 1 1/2 cups of the marinade over the roast in the slow cooker and discard the remaining marinade mixture.
- Place the cover on the slow cooker and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 7 hours until roast is tender.
- Remove the pieces of roast from the slow cooker and keep them warm.
- Strain the liquid that is left in the slow cooker and return it to the slow cooker.
- Increase the heat to high. Add the crushed gingersnaps to the slow cooker. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for 12 minutes. The gravy should be smooth and thick.
- Pour gravy over the meat and serve.