1 3/4 cups milk
1 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp water
1/2 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 tspn vanilla extract
Dash of salt
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten - save the egg whites for the Meringue Icing recipe if you are going to make the Cuban Rum Cake.
- In a small bowl or cup, dissolve the cornstarch into the 3 tbsp of water.
- In a large saucepan, mix the milk, salt, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, egg yolks, and vanilla until smooth.
- Cook over medium heat and bring to a boil, constantly stirring the mixture, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and pour the mixture through a thin strainer into a bowl. You may need to push the mixture through the strainer using a spoon.
- Refrigerate the natilla for at least an hour.