9 inch square cake pan
5 eggs, separated
1 1/4 cup confection sugar
2/3 cup semolina
zest of 1 lime
1 cup ground almonds (optional)
1 1/3 cups dried figs, chopped
2 tbsp. sesame seeds
Ingredients - syrup:
juice of 2 limes
1/2 cup confection sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a deep 9 inch square cake pan.
- Using a mixer, whisk the egg yolks, lime zest, and sugar together.
- Next, mix in the almonds and semolina.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks develop. Then slowly add the egg whites to the egg yolk and almond mixture.
- Pour the cake batter evenly into the cake pan.
- Sprinkle the chopped figs evenly across the top of the cake batter. Then sprinkle the sesame seeds evenly across the top of the cake.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- While the cake bakes you can make the syrup. In a saucepan, add the lime juice, confection sugar, and 5 tbsp. cold water and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes or until syrupy and remove from heat.
- Remove the cake from the oven and poke small holes into the top of the cake using a fork.
- Pour the hot syrup evenly over the top of the cake.
- Let cool and then cut the cake into squares and serve.