1 1/2 pounds catfish fillets
2 tspn chili powder
1 tspn Kosher salt
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 egg white
2 tbsp corn meal
1 tbsp tapioca flour (you can also use light baking flour)
1 yellow onion, diced
2 Serrano chilies, diced
6 curry leaves
1/2 tspn coriander, ground
1 tspn cumin, ground
1/2 tspn turmeric
1 tbsp fresh cilantro
olive oil for frying (about 8 tbsp)
- Cut fish fillets in 1 to 2 inch pieces.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together 1 tspn chili powder, 1/2 tspn salt, 2 cloves of minced garlic, ginger, and the egg white.
Add the pieces of fish to the marinade so that each piece is coated. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Add 3 tbsp olive oil to a non-stick skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the fish and cook until the fish is golden brown. Remove the fish from the oil and place in a bowl for later.
- In another skillet, add 5 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add 3 cloves minced garlic, 2 diced Serrano chilies, and the curry leaves. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add onions to the skillet and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add 1 tspn chili powder, ground coriander, ground cumin, turmeric and 1/2 tspn salt to the skillet and cook for another 3 minutes stirring often.
- Add the fish mixture to the skillet containing the onion mixture along with 1/2 cup of water. Cover the skillet and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove the lid and mix in the fresh cilantro. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until all of the excess moisture has cooked off.
- Serve hot over rice.