1 cup of plain breadcrumbs
6 tbsp unsalted butter
pinch of Kosher salt
9 oz. Monterrey Jack or cheddar cheese, shredded
6 oz. Gruyere cheese, shredded
1 12oz. can evaporated milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tspn Tabasco sauce
1 tspn water
1 tspn dry mustard
2 tspn Kosher salt
12 oz. elbow macaroni
black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 2 tbsp of butter until it bubbles.
- Add the bread crumbs and salt to the skillet coating the breadcrumbs with the butter.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and let the breadcrumbs cool completely. Mix in 1/4 cup of the cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese and set aside for later.
- Set an oven rack 6 inches below the broiler and turn the broiler on.
- In a small cup dissolve the mustard into the water.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the eggs, the Tabasco, 1 cup of the evaporated milk (keep the remainder for later), and the mustard and water mixture.
- In a large pot over medium heat, boil 3 quarts of water. Add the 2 tspn salt and the macaroni noodles and cook until almost done but still firm.
- Drain the water from the pot and return the pot to the stove, reducing the heat to low. Add 4 tbsp butter to the noodles and stir gently to coat the noodles.
- Pour the egg mixture from the mixing bowl over the macaroni noodles along with the remaining shredded cheese and the remaining evaporated milk. Stir the ingredients gently until well combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the macaroni and cheese into a 9 inch square baking pan. Top with the bread crumbs.
- Place the baking pan in the oven below the broiler for 2 minutes until lightly toasted on top.
- Remove and let cool for about 7 minutes then serve.