1/2 cup 12-grain cereal (10-grain cereal works too)
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup dates, chopped
1 tspn salt
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tspn baking powder
1 tspn baking soda
1 tspn cinnamon
1 cup chopped raw mixed seeds and nuts, such as pumpkin, sesame, flax, sunflower, walnuts, cashews
- Combine the 12-grain cereal, boiling water, chopped dates, and salt and soak for 8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare the mini muffin pan with either cooking spray or paper liners.
- In a small bowl combine the honey, maple syrup, egg, oil, and buttermilk and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon and mix well.
- Mix the cereal mixture from the night before with the mixed wet ingredients, then add it to the mixed dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Bake approximately 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.