Curried Spinach works as a stand alone dip served with pita chips or you can use it for filling to make a Brazilian - Indian fusion appetizer called a Curried Spinach Pastéis.
2 tspn olive oil
1 tspn cumin seeds, ground
1 tspn curry powder
1/4 tspn turmeric
1/8 tspn cayenne pepper
1 cube of vegetable bouillon
1 red onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 10 oz. box frozen spinach
1/3 package of Philadelphia brand cream cheese
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used Greek Gods brand)
salt and pepper to taste
- Thaw the spinach and squeeze it to remove most of the moisture. Pull the spinach apart and put it into a small bowl to use later.
- In a small bowl, mix the cumin, curry powder, turmeric, and cayenne pepper and set aside.
- In another bowl, dissolve the bouillon cube in 1/2 cup of warm water and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook until it is clear and translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the bowl of spices to the skillet along with the spinach.
- Stir the spices and the spinach well, then pour in the vegetable bouillon.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer until you have cooked off most of the moisture, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Mix the spinach together with the cream cheese and yogurt. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with pita chips or use as a filler for this Pastéis recipe.